We adore grilled vegetables, they are the best, healthiest way to grill. If you don’t normally eat them, and you are on a personal mission to eat more vegetables yourself, this amazingly delicious grilled zucchini recipe will serve as a starting point. We promise once you’ve tried zucchini on the grill, you won’t want to cook it any other way.
During the spring and summer months, we love grilling zucchini as a side dish to serve with chicken, fish or meat. It’s fast, easy and delightful!
With this grilled zucchini recipe you will learn to make a side dish to eat during the summer season because it is gluten-free, low carb and healthy, so everyone at the table can enjoy it.
The simple and delicious grilled zucchini recipe
What you need
- 2 medium zucchini, about 8 oz each, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Lemon wedges for serving (this is optional)
- Firstly, preheat your gas grill on medium-high.
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and minced garlic in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the zucchini to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Add the zucchini to the grill in a single layer.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until tender and browned.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove zucchini from the grill and place on a serving plate.
- In addition, sprinkle with parsley and serve as a healthy and delicious side with your juicy steaks.
When you cut zucchini or other vegetables into slices, always make sure the slices are the same thickness. The grill intensifies the sweetness of vegetables quickly and that can lead to burning. Cut the vegetables as evenly as you can. A 1/2-inch thickness is right for most.
What size of zucchini is best for grilling?
The ideal size zucchini for grilling is a “medium-large.” That would be 7 to 8 inches long. But you can grill zucchini that is bigger (or smaller) if you happen to have it.
In the same vein, if you have a small zucchini to grill, you can cut it in half lengthwise once and grill it just a little longer per side to reach the ideal doneness.
For thicker larger zucchini, cut them in half crosswise, then into 1/3-inch thick slabs.
Use a good-quality oil
Vegetables need oil to prevent sticking and burning. We recommend an extra-virgin olive oil that provides the added benefit of improving the flavour of practically every vegetable. You should brush on just enough to coat each side thoroughly but not so much that your veggies would drip oil and cause flare-ups. You can also season them generously with salt and pepper (bear in mind that some of it will fall off).
Did you cook this recipe?
If you loved this recipe as much as we do, be sure to let us a comment or share it on Instagram and tag @bbqsalgarve. We would be happy to see that you’ve tried it.
Do you want to learn more recipes? Get yourself fascinated by the sweetness of grilled watermelon this summer!