Adding more veggies to meals is consistently at the top of our menu planning, and the summer season makes it even easier to do. If your BBQ repertoire doesn’t include grilled asparagus this summer, you’re due for a change. They are tender and juicy, with a lightly charred flavour that makes them completely irresistible.
The best thing about grilling asparagus? It’s so easy. You don’t need anything more than asparagus, olive oil, salt, pepper and a hot grill to take the natural flavour of the asparagus and intensify it.
We encourage you to try this grilled asparagus recipe! Who knows? You could end up loving it too.
Are you ready to learn our easy grilled asparagus recipe? Here’s what you need to do:
Grilled asparagus recipe
What you need:
- 1 pound asparagus (choose thick spears).
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 tsp. kosher salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Lemon wedges, if desired.
1. Preheat your grill to about 375-400°F, and brush the grill grates lightly with olive oil.
2. Snap off the woody end of the asparagus spears, and wash well. You can trim the spears with a knife or use your hands to break them.
3. Make sure the asparagus has no dripping water. If needed, pat it dry with kitchen paper to ensure it crisps and caramelises.
4. Place the trimmed asparagus into a large mixing bowl. Toss the asparagus lightly in oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Next, cook! Place the asparagus across the grill grates perpendicular to the bars, so they don’t fall through. Grill the spears for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping once or twice throughout so that they grill evenly.
6. That’s it! The grilled asparagus is ready when it’s fork-tender and lightly charred. Remove it from the heat, and enjoy!
🔥 #ProTip For an extra boost of flavour, transfer to a platter and drizzle with a squeeze of lemon. Then, stir in enough olive oil to add a little body and take the edge off the sharpness of the lemon. It’s so simple and delicious! Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Benefits of eating asparagus/grilled veggies
Not only does grilling vegetables accentuates their natural sugars to become sweetly smoky and caramelised. Did you know that the minerals and vitamins of veggies are retained when they are grilled? Because of that, grilled vegetables are very healthy. Furthermore, the vegetables you toss on the grill are usually fresh and in season, which is a step above the frozen versions.
Some of our summer veggie favourites include grilled zucchini, grilled aubergine, and our grilled asparagus recipe. But why is asparagus our most-liked? For its benefits, of course! Asparagus is extremely low in calories at about 20 per serving (five spears), has no fat, and is low in sodium. Plus, they’re easy to make so that you can concentrate on the rest of your menu!
Need more reasons? Taste. It improves the taste of the vegetable itself! The flavour is enhanced naturally, producing a complex profile you’ll not detect with other methods. And the added crunch definitely doesn’t hurt!
How long does it take to grill asparagus?
Cooking times depend on the size and shape of each food. For example, meat, chicken, and fish generally take longer to grill than vegetables.
With grilled asparagus, cooking time depends on whether you want it tender-crisp or completely tender. For tender-crisp, just grill for 3 to 5 minutes. For more tender asparagus, grill about 4-5 minutes per side. The longer you leave the asparagus on the grill, the more you risk it becoming watery and dull.
Keep in mind thicker spears will take longer to cook, so adjust cooking time accordingly.
What should you serve with grilled asparagus?
Literally, anything. Pair it with your favourite protein or classic cookout meals like Portuguese grilled codfish, Grilled butterflied chicken breasts or Grill lamb chops. Bottom line: Grilled asparagus tastes fantastic with pretty much everything. Once you try it, we think you’ll love it too!
Tricks for grilling asparagus
- When In doubt, use foil. If you only have thin stalks, we suggest cooking them on grill-safe foil. This will prevent your precious spears from falling through the grates.
- Season simply. In our grilled asparagus recipe we sprinkle the asparagus generously with salt and black pepper. But, feel free to add dried herbs such as oregano, basil, or mint if you’d like.
- To store. Great fresh, even better on day 2! Refrigerate grilled asparagus in a hermetic storage container for up to 4 days.
- Tongs. Tongs make it easier to manoeuvre the spears than a fork. Between the ergonomic design and the versatility, this set is our favourite.
- Grill basket. You could also add a grill basket to your grilling accesories. This tool is perfect for grilling vegetables in the most comfortable way.
- Cheese. Amp up the flavour by adding cheese. After the asparagus is removed from the heat, add a sprinkle of parmesan or mozzarella cheese. On the other hand, you could also try wrapping it with Iberian ham.
Asparagus is absolutely perfect for grilling. If you make this grilled asparagus recipe, please let us know! Keep trying new things. You might discover a whole new flavour world.
Are you keen to learn how to grill more vegetables? Read on our Ultimate Guide on Grilling Vegetables to Perfection. Also, check out our fine selection of cooking grills online or make sure you come to visit our showroom in Almancil and get to browse for your favourite one.