Butternut squash is an autumn-winter must that has a sweet nutty taste and is rich in vitamins in minerals. And even though there are tons of ways to cook it, we love grilling this veggie not only during cool weather but any time of the year! Grilling it in slices creates a crispy shell and seals in all the flavour! Try out this grilled butternut squash for your next BBQ!
Can you grill butternut squash?
A big YES! Butternut squash tastes delicious when grilled. Like other veggies, the flavour from the grill just can’t be beaten. Also, grilling vegetables retains the nutrients in the veggies that would be otherwise lost by steaming or boiling.
Should I peel the squash before grilling?
There is no need to peel the squash although it might be easy to eat if you peel it before and also will save you time later before eating. #BBQTip: To make them cook quicker on the grill, microwave or steam the squash pieces for a few minutes before tossing them in the dressing.
Is grilled butternut squash healthy?
Butternut squash is not only tasty but also packs a punch of vitamins, minerals, fibre, and antioxidants. This autumn veggie is low in calories but high in many nutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium.
Should you salt squash before grilling?
Yes! We recommend brushing lightly with oil and seasoning liberally with salt and pepper just before you place it on the grill.
Easy grilled butternut squash recipe
What you need
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- If you haven’t peeled your squash, use a vegetable peeler to take off the hardest outer shell and then give the squash a second pass with the peeler to get the white layer in between the skin and the flesh. Use a sharp chef’s knife to trim the top stem and the bottom off of the squash. Then slice the squash in half lengthwise. Once it is split in half, use a spoon to scrape out the strings and seeds. Lay the cut and scraped the side of the squash down flat on the cutting board and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Brush over squash slices.
- Get your charcoal or gas grill preheated to 450 degrees F.
- Grill the squash for about 10 minutes. You’ll know the squash is done when you have nice char on the outside and the squash feels tender if you pierce easily with a fork.
- Serve immediately! You can serve it with a wide variety of both sweet and savoury recipes, such as stews or pulled pork.
More grilled vegetables recipes
Pretty much any vegetable tastes great when cooked on the grill. If you’re looking for more veggies to grill up this season, check out our favourite recipes:
- Grilled lettuce ideas & grilling tips
- Mouth-watering grilled asparagus recipe for this Summer season
- Delicious grilled zucchini recipe to cook this summer